Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Can a flower shop survive by just selling single stems and not doing events?

I think it would be a great idea to open a flower shop where people could pop in and get some fresh flowers for their house, their wife, on the way to see a friend or for whatever reason. In the US I don't see any shops like this.. florists get caught up in doing events like weddings, funerals, and other occasions. They really do not promote selling single stems. They only want to do large events.





Sure grocery stores sell flowers, but a shop can have a much better selection and you can build a boquet with whatever you want. I am in Japan now and flower shops are on every corner- they are like starbucks. But they all seem to stay in business. And I know that I personally love how easy and affordable it is to get fresh flowers. And I know that maybe in the US such a variety of fresh flowers isn't as easy or cheap for a flower shop to stock... And you would have to get a prime location for "popping in".





But Is this even possible to do in the US or would you go out of business?

Can a flower shop survive by just selling single stems and not doing events?
Hi There,





Good Post! I love everything about business, escpecially the marketing and advertising parts. These things make or break a business. I've found many ways to advertise my business that might help you. If you have a website, try SEO and PPC (pay per click from Google Adwords).





If you advertise your business offline, try handing out flyers, printing coupons, and yellowpage advertising).





The best method I've found yet is to buy business cards and hand them out everwhere. I buy them from a place online that gives the cards for free and only charges for shipping and handling. I hand these out to everyone I meet, and I leave them on cars where ever I go (I also got a free business card holder that looks really impressive)!








http://www.free-biz-cards.info





Take care and good luck with your business!